Friday 23 May 2014

Rebecca: Beijing Impressions

As if apologizing for the grey and rainy skies over the last few days, our last morning in Hangzhou was sunny and the sky was at least partly blue. We said our goodbyes to our conversation partners yesterday, then left early this morning. It was just a short flight from Hangzhou airport to Beijing, then another bus ride to our hostel.

Every city we've been to has been vastly different. Shanghai was really Westernized, with lots of bright lights and English speakers. Hangzhou was full of trees and super clean. Beijing is... dingier, I guess. The streets aren't as clean, the buildings aren't as colourful and the air is thick with smog. Maybe it's just the area we're in right now - our hostel is right downtown. It's a good location, though. There's a subway station literally right outside our door, and lots of little restaurants and things nearby. 

I don't have a lot to write about today, since we spent most of the day travelling. I realized China has changed my tastes quite a bit. I ate some noodles that were pretty spicy today, and I really liked them. China has cured me of my pickiness - I'm still not super adventurous with food, but I'll eat just about anything you put in front of me. (Yes, Mom, that means you can cook whatever you want and I'll probably eat it.)

Saying goodbye to the university was sad, but hopefully we'll have lots more adventures here in Beijing!

-Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment