Friday 16 May 2014

Jen: In Which I sing for a crowd of Chinese Students in a Costume

Today started out pretty slow because we didn't have class. Me and Rebecca had the most delicious breakfast ever! I can't believe I like greasy toast but you don't understand. It's sooooo goood dipped in soy milk.
I also had a soy beverage which I thought was yogurt but it was aight. China has cool fruit! Including this berry that costs 1¥ per berry. That's pretty expensive. But there better then any fruit I've ever had. The fruit is sweet here and not too acidic. Pineapple on a stick is a staple on campus! Mmm!
Alright enough salivating.

After breakfast I went to see some sports events at the stadium. There were tonnes of races. It seems to be perfectly okay if you fall over after your leg of the race. I hope the runners stay hydrated. The Chinese students with me cheered for their team so I joined in with a loud 加油!! All of the classes have their own cheers. I want to learn one. Heehee. Maybe next time. Even the professors get involved in relay races. One of the profs lost his shoe mid run. It was unfortunate but hilarious! Even an old teacher ran in the final leg. Really impressive.
After a short break of street food we headed back to the dorm to practice for tonight's performance. Performance you say?  I was asked to perform at an event to support a new mall. No no, not in Chinese. I sang two songs: September by Earth Wind and Fire and Payphone by Maroon 5. I had no idea what to expect. I legit learned one of the songs the day of.
It gets better. The introducer asked me if I would wear the costume of the Han Dynasty. Well they asked Rebecca first but she pointed to me. :stinkeye:
It was so exhillerating but scary. I'm use to the Chinese people staring at me but this was a whole new story. People were filming me everywhere. I'm legit on 50 people's phone right now. That's certainly not something I expected to do in this country. I love it here! So many experiences. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment