Sunday 4 May 2014

Jen: Eating in the Caf. It's a process!

I'm all settled in at the University. It's so gorgeous I can't even breath! No that's not the pollution either. The uni has thr cutest little strip of stores ranging from haircuts to baozi. To bubble tea as well! It's so cool!

I've had my first meal on campus and lemme tell you... It's an ordeal!
No English anywhere! We had a team member w us that spoke some Mandarin but he couldn't read it. Gah. So here's the process:

1. Get in line and fight to the front
2. They ask if you want rice
3. I pointed to which buffet style item I wanted and said: 请你给我这个。 Please give me that. DIshes are set up in rows but some are too far to point to. I chose a bean and chicken one. Rebecca had chicken marrow. Kinda eeeps...
4. Then you put your meal card on a sensor and it takes off the balance you spent.
5. Take your tray and grab chopsticks from the large container.
6. Eat (duh)
7. Put your tray on the conveyor belt after wiping off excess food.
8. Throw chopsticks into bin.
9. Realize you could of had free soup and walk away full but sad. FREE SOUP.

Over all I looooooove loooooove looove China. This uni is overwhelming for now but I'm sure it will get easier soon!

I'll write about Shanghai adventures later!

No comments:

Post a Comment