Thursday 8 May 2014

Rebecca: 生日快乐 (Shengrikuaile, Happy Birthday!)

We're at the university in Hangzhou right now (I think Jen mentioned this), and I'm honestly having a great time. I might never go back to Canada. :) The campus is beautiful; it really puts our school to shame. The weather is super nice too (I think I'm getting a tan)! We met some of our Chinese conversation partners today and went on a scavenger hunt, so we got to see a lot of the campus grounds. We also had our first class in basic Chinese (which was, as the name implies, pretty basic. We knew a lot of it already).
There was also this little thing that happened today that might have had something to do with me turning 20! ^_^ I had a fantastic birthday today, with much singing of Happy Birthday (in English and Mandarin) in embarrassingly public places. I really wasn't expecting anything, since this whole trip has basically been one big birthday gift so far, but Jen got me a little present and arranged a surprise cake in the cafeteria (she's not ALWAYS a mean person, haha). They had apparently ordered a cake with strawberries on it, but the bakery didn't have any, so my cake came with tomatoes on top instead. I'm not kidding! Cherry tomatoes! It was actually pretty good, though, and it was a good laugh!
We're getting the hang of living in China. The squatting toilets aren't as scary as they seem and we hung laundry on the balcony for the first time today (clothes dryers aren't really a thing here, so everyone hangs laundry everywhere). And we can order from shops and the cafeteria with only minimal difficulties (other than the plate of bone marrow I got. I didn't know, okay? It looked like beef!). And I think I'm addicted to green tea ice cream. The only thing I really miss about Canada is being able to brush my teeth with the tap water. Using bottled water is a bit of a hassle. 
Oh, and I guess I miss my family and friends too. A bit. :P

-Rebecca


No comments:

Post a Comment